It’s the penultimate day of this pescatarian challenge. I still don’t feel like I need the meat, but last night I had a strange dream. I was at a breakfast buffet, and all that they had to eat was animal produce.
I was gliding around the different stations with my tray, but there was nothing for me to eat. Even the scrambled eggs had bits of bacon or something mixed in.
I remember thinking; I know i’ll have a glass of milk, only to be told by the dinner lady that the milk was a special blend – mixed with pigs ears.
I hate pigs ears!
In the end I went with a spaghetti carbonara and tried to pick out the pancetta. This took ages, and by the time I’d completed the task, it was time for me to leave my fabricated buffet – I’d eaten nothing – and as a result I awoke in the real world absolutely starving!
I then went to make some scrambled eggs, and needless to say I left out the pigs ears.
Anyway, in the last few days I haven’t made much worth shouting about. One thing I do want to share is this vegetarian chilli I found on BBC Food recipes. Obviously the amount of chilli powder should be tweaked to your liking (I used fresh chilli), but this is really nice and the first chilli I’ve made without mince or a mince substitute.
Yes, there is a lot of ingredients – but it’s definitely worth the effort.
- 75g of green lentils
- 2 tbsp of sunflower oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- chilli powder or fresh chilli (to taste)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- 300 ml of vegetable stock
- 100g of frozen peas
- 175g of mushrooms
- 1 courgette (chopped)
- 1 can of kidney beans
- Soak the lentils in water for 30 mins, or buy already soaked lentils.
- fry the onion, garlic, chilli and cumin in the oil until onions are soft
- Add the peppers, carrots, lentils and cook for 5 mins. Then add tomatoes, puree, stock, peas, and simmer for 30 mins or until the lentils are tender.
- Add the courgettes, mushrooms, the drained kidney beans and simmer for 10 mins.
- grate some cheese on top if you want.
Season. Done. Serve with whatever the hell you like.